Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] cmake build

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] cmake build
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 09:40:17 +0200

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 10:12:16AM -0700, Josh Blum wrote:
> > 3) Suggestion: automatically set the test systems by use of GLOBs. I
> > guess if *all* lib/qa_*.cc and python/qa_*.py are automatically added to
> > the tests portfolio, this would be fine with most developers 99% of the
> > time. I still think the 1% are brilliant enough to adapt the build
> > system to their needs (instead of the other way round).
> >

> So here is an example of globbing w/ gr-digital:
> http://gnuradio.org/cgit/jblum.git/tree/gr-digital/python/CMakeLists.txt?h=next#n54
>
> And here is the "manual" way of doing it in gr-howto
> http://gnuradio.org/cgit/jblum.git/tree/gr-howto-write-a-block-cmake/python/CMakeLists.txt?h=next#n37
>
> My thoughts where that the gr-howto is to help learn by example, and
> that the code would be easier to understand the "manual" way.
>
> Thoughts?

A compromise might be to put more comments and annotations into the
CMakeLists.txt, e.g. to explain how things would be done manually.

With globs, there is less understanding of the build systems, but
getting started is also easier--it would make the learning curve nicer
for newbies.

MB

--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)