Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] cmake build

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] cmake build
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:40:24 +0200

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 09:07:15PM -0400, Tom Rondeau wrote:
> We are looking at possibly moving from autotools to cmake. In many
> ways, cmake looks like it will simply many of our build issues and
> actually solve others. Josh Blum has been doing outstanding work in
> converting the GNU Radio build system over to using cmake, and we
> really need testers to chip away at any of the bugs. Specifically, we
> have tested it on some modern OSes, but we want ot make sure that it
> covers most (if not all) of our customer base (I'm sorry, but if it
> come down to it, I'm willing to let the VAX users go...).
>
> Find the instructions to start working on it here:
> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/CMakeWork
>
> Please post both positive and negative experiences so that we know not
> only what to fix, but it will also let us know what systems are
> working.

I like it!
...some more verbose comments:

* All of my machines are pretty standard (all Ubuntu, 32 and 64 bit
  flavours, versions 11.04 and 10.10). It works on both (with some minor
  issues).

* One of the machines had an old UHD version, which manages to crash the
  build:
<snip>
[ 88%] Building CXX object
gr-uhd/lib/CMakeFiles/gnuradio-uhd.dir/gr_uhd_usrp_source.cc.o
In file included from
/home/braun/src/gnuradio-cmake/gr-uhd/lib/gr_uhd_usrp_source.cc:22:
/home/braun/src/gnuradio-cmake/gr-uhd/include/gr_uhd_usrp_source.h:27:
fatal error: uhd/usrp/multi_usrp.hpp: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[2]: ***
[gr-uhd/lib/CMakeFiles/gnuradio-uhd.dir/gr_uhd_usrp_source.cc.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [gr-uhd/lib/CMakeFiles/gnuradio-uhd.dir/all] Error 2
</snip>
  I believe this should be caught by the configuration process, not
  during the build (...?)

* I didn't time it, but is the build time much faster? Even if this is
  only subjective, it's an improvement.

* The way the CMakeLists.txt look, this system seems much easier to
  configure. Thumbs up! (Even though it's actually longer :)

* One of the tests failed:
<snip>
99% tests passed, 1 tests failed out of 83

Total Test time (real) =  71.21 sec

The following tests FAILED:
         69 - qa_costas_loop_cc (Failed)
Errors while running CTest
make: *** [test] Error 8
</snip>

* I noticed radar-mono and sounder are missing. If that was done on
  purpose, then good riddance. While they're interesting demos, they're
  not really useful and I always disabled them.

I hope this transition comes soon!

MB

--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)