Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP N200, RFX 1800 not receiving signal

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP N200, RFX 1800 not receiving signal
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 17:06:48 +0200

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 03:41:04PM +0200, Urs Hunkeler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My USRP N200 / RFX 1800 combination seems to not receive any useful
> signal. The software seems to work, there are no error messages, and
> the USRP seems to sample noise but does not even show a signal from
> a signal generator.
>
> Has anybody an idea what I might be doing wrong, or what else I could try?
>
> I use Ubuntu and installed/compiled the latest GNUradio / UHD
> software. I used the uhd_fft.py script to test the radio. I tried
> different frequencies, both antennas and different transmit power
> level on the signal generator (-110dBm - -10dBm). The only thing I
> see is noise, which changes slightly when I change the gain.
>
> The command to start uhd_fft.py was:
>
> uhd_fft.py -A RX2 -f 2G --samp-rate=16M

Quick checklist:

- Is the antenna in the correct port?
- What's your test signal? If it's very narrow band, try reducing the
  sample rate (16M is quite a lot...).
- Look up nearby GSM stations and see if you can find the BCH of the
  downlink channel.
- Try a signal at 1,8 GHz.
- If you have other d'boards, do they work?

--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Communications Engineering Lab (CEL)

Dipl.-Ing. Martin Braun