Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDCC 2.9 versus 3.0

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDCC 2.9 versus 3.0
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 11:00:01 -0400

On 16/05/2011 10:50 AM, Steve Mcmahon wrote:
Hello:

Currently GNU Radio 3.3 only supports SDCC 2.9. It does not yet support SDCC
3.x. Why is this? What changed in the newer 3.x releases of SDCC? What would
need to change in GNU Radio to enable support for SDCC 3.x? Is it worth doing
that work? What would GNU Radio gain by supporting SDCC 3.x? There must be some
new features or capabilities in SDCC 3 that would be useful to GNU Radio...

Steve McMahon

SDCC is used only to compile the code for the FX2 for the USRP1. That codebase is fairly static, and SDCC 3.0 doesn't really bring much to the table for that. The main change between SDCC 2.X and SDCC 3.X is that some intrinsic 8051-specific type-qualifiers changed syntax between 2.X and 3.X,
and the command names changed.

It's fairly straightforward to mechanically convert between 2.X and 3.X syntax--I've done that experimentally for FX2LIB, but I seriously don't have the bandwidth at the moment to do this for the USRP1 code, and realistically, that's up to Ettus.