Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] User experience with E1x0 boards

From: Philip Balister
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] User experience with E1x0 boards
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 08:44:17 -0400

On 05/04/2011 02:03 AM, Alexander Chemeris wrote:
On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 02:33, Josh Blum<address@hidden>  wrote:

4) Be sure to tell UHD you want integer samples. I'm thinking even then
UHD has to swap IQ for historical reasons. (Josh, help?)

There is a copy-conversion operation between kernel buffer memory and
user memory. If the user requests complex shorts, I believe the
conversion is the equivalent of a 16 bit integer pair swapping. This
routine could be replaced with NEON intrinsics pretty easily.

Ugh. Could you please point us to this code so we can disable it? We
don't need to convert data in real-time, and if we can avoid copying
it would be great help too. We need to capture raw data to RAM with
maximum possible throughput and then process it in offline mode.

I would do it in the FPGA. It is not a huge deal, but at the rates you want, every little bit helps.

The floating point translation uses a NEON vrev instruction to do the swapping, but I think the swap is done in C++ for the int case. (Based on a quick look last night).

Philip