Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Hi all, how to use usrp and gnuradio support tria

From: Harley Myler
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Hi all, how to use usrp and gnuradio support triangulation to locate a cell phone
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 22:13:39 -0500

On May 31, 2010, at 8:49 PM, John Wu wrote:

> hi Harley,
> I think I can bypass establishing communication with the cell phone I want to
> track, I can use app like airprobe to sniff the cell phone radio. So now the
> main task is find a good method to locate it. For now there are two methods.
> First is use three receiver receive the TDOA and use hyperbolic to locate the
> cell phone. this method need the three receivers synchronize the timer very
> accurate. the second is use two antenna arrays to use AOA to locate the cell
> phone, you have mentioned that you have support the antenna arrays in usrp to
> locate BTS. I want to build my receiver as a handset but if I choose AOA
> method the distance may be several meters between two antennas in a antenna
> array. So if it possible to reduce the distance between two antennas in a
> antenna array and keep the location accuracy? What is the smallest distance?

You are in a different world with a handheld device, my application has the
array mounted on the belly of an aircraft so my worries are not with the
antenna since I have lots of room for element spacing. The literature abounds
with articles on direction finding techniques and what you are hoping to do is
not out of the ordinary, but I am afraid you are on your own in that regard.

All that I have at this juncture, besides the fact that I have the software
working on a virtual machine, is the explanation of how the unused GPIO ports
can be accessed, which is essential for the antenna control that I require. We
are on break right now, but next week I have some surprises in store for some
of my unwitting students...perhaps they will post here as the system evolves.

Harley

CONFIDENTIALITY: Any information contained in this e-mail (including
attachments) is the property of The State of Texas and unauthorized disclosure
or use is prohibited. Sending, receiving or forwarding of confidential,
proprietary and privileged information is prohibited under Lamar Policy. If you
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail
from your system.