Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Hi all, how to use usrp and gnuradio support tri

From: John Wu
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Hi all, how to use usrp and gnuradio support triangulation to locate a cell phone
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 09:49:02 +0800

hi Harley,
I think I can bypass establishing communication with the cell phone I want to track, I can use app like airprobe to sniff the cell phone radio. So now the main task is find a good method to locate it. For now there are two methods. First is use three receiver receive the TDOA and use hyperbolic to locate the cell phone. this method need the three receivers synchronize the timer very accurate. the second is use two antenna arrays to use AOA to locate the cell phone, you have mentioned that you have support the antenna arrays in usrp to locate BTS. I want to build my receiver as a handset but if I choose AOA method the distance may be several meters between two antennas in a antenna array. So if it possible to reduce the distance between two antennas in a antenna array and keep the location accuracy? What is the smallest distance?

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:22 PM, Harley Myler <address@hidden> wrote:
On May 26, 2010, at 5:25 AM, John Wu wrote:

> Harley Thanks
> I find another way call hyperbolic location method that is more accurate to locate a cell phone. and what u said is correct, I must first get a phone's communication. Now the easier way what I know is using openbts and usrp build a gsm bts to communicate with cell phone. Am I right?

That would be a good start since most of the complicated part (handset to USRP link), IMO, is done.

Harley

CONFIDENTIALITY: Any information contained in this e-mail (including attachments) is the property of The State of Texas and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited. Sending, receiving or forwarding of confidential, proprietary and privileged information is prohibited under Lamar Policy. If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.