Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PlayStation 3

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PlayStation 3
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:28:22 -0800

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 01:27:51PM -0800, Kyle Kuypers wrote:
> I think Gentoo will provide us with a very capable cross dev environment.
> I've installed Gentoo on a PS3 and used its built-in distributed compile
> and crossdev features to offload most compiling of the normal linux
> binaries for the PS3 onto my workhorse machines.

OK.  I'm assuming that these aren't specific to Gentoo.
At a minimum, I'd like a generic Linux solution.

> Unfortunately the state of cell specific development *right now* is
> in my opinion still somewhat... inconvenient.

> >From what I have been reading I believe gcc-4.3 and the latest version of
> other build utilities will clean up alot of these problems and make it
> very simple for gentoo distcc/crossdev machines to build gnuradio and its
> dependencies for the cell with SPE support. I've been hanging out on the
> #gentoo-ppc64 irc chan and think those guys are doing great work toward
> getting the distro very close to what we want. I'm just about ready to try
> an all gcc-4.3 based build on a number of boxes. Some info from the Gentoo
> cell team's tool chain status can be found at:
> http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/cell/wiki/ToolchainStatus

Thanks for the link.

Absent other solid info, I'd stick with the IBM provided FC5.
Are you sure that Gentoo's got all the PS3 patches, numactl support, etc?
Does the Gentoo Cell kernel support 2-way SMP?

> If anyone else is working on the PS3 Gentoo route please e-mail me and we
> can try to work through problems together.
>
> BTW, does GNU Radio have an IRC chan?

Nope.  Feel free to start one somewhere.

Eric