Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PlayStation 3

From: Kyle Kuypers
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PlayStation 3
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:27:51 -0800 (PST)

I think Gentoo will provide us with a very capable cross dev environment.
I've installed Gentoo on a PS3 and used its built-in distributed compile
and crossdev features to offload most compiling of the normal linux
binaries for the PS3 onto my workhorse machines. Unfortunately the state
of cell specific development *right now* is in my opinion still
somewhat... inconvenient.

>From what I have been reading I believe gcc-4.3 and the latest version of
other build utilities will clean up alot of these problems and make it
very simple for gentoo distcc/crossdev machines to build gnuradio and its
dependencies for the cell with SPE support. I've been hanging out on the
#gentoo-ppc64 irc chan and think those guys are doing great work toward
getting the distro very close to what we want. I'm just about ready to try
an all gcc-4.3 based build on a number of boxes. Some info from the Gentoo
cell team's tool chain status can be found at:
http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/cell/wiki/ToolchainStatus

If anyone else is working on the PS3 Gentoo route please e-mail me and we
can try to work through problems together.

BTW, does GNU Radio have an IRC chan?