Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PlayStation 3

From: Jason
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PlayStation 3
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 08:22:06 -0500

Eric A. Cottrell wrote:
Hello,

So has anyone got their PS3 yet?  A store claims to have the 60 gb model
a not too far distance away and I am tempted.  But I do not want to be
first on the block to get one.

I picked up a PS3 a few weeks ago, and just got Gentoo booting on it (60GB version). Out of the box, I think I set the CFLAGS wrong because the new stuff I've compiled is 32bit. I've built the cross toolchain for the SPU's and successfully ran a test program or two.

Be mindful, as Eric said, compiles are slow. The CellBE drastically dropped cost and heat by not efficiently handling out-of-order code. I don't have the link handy, but the IBM CellBE development center has a PDF intro to coding for the Cell which shows how to handle if;then;else statements in an efficient manner. Anything not coded that way will be horribly inefficient. Hence, the long compile times on a dual core, 3.2GHz processor. :(

hth,

Jason.