Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PlayStation 3

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PlayStation 3
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:15:01 -0800

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 08:48:22PM -0500, Eric A. Cottrell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> So has anyone got their PS3 yet?  A store claims to have the 60 gb model
> a not too far distance away and I am tempted.  But I do not want to be
> first on the block to get one.
>
> 73 Eric

I have had access to one remotely for a while, and received one from
Fry's a couple of days ago, though I haven't found time to mess with
it yet.

The remote one I was using was running Fedora Core 5 and had the IBM
SDK installed on it.  That's how I'm going to set mine up.  I have
benchmarked the USB throughput on it with the USRP.  Input is good
(32MB/s), but output is a little slow (28MB/s).  This is consistent
with what we've seen on other PPC's including dual processor G5's.

GNU Radio builds on the PS3, but you've got to be patient.  It took
about 30 minutes, and that was after splitting gnuradio_swig_python
into the 5 pieces.  It's currently not passing "make check".
I haven't spent any time tracking it down, but it may to that I'm
generating .so's that are 64-bit while python is compiled in 32-bit
mode.

Eric