Re: [directory-discuss] Ad-free freedom betrayed

From: David Hedlund
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Ad-free freedom betrayed
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 16:55:03 +0100

I think the Adblock Plus whitelist make Adblock Plus to a adware.

Adware definition: Adware, or advertising-supported software, is any software package that automatically renders advertisements in order to generate revenue for its author. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adware

What do you guys think about this?

On 2016-11-18 17:32, Greg Rundlett (freephile) wrote:
On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Ian Kelling <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 17, 2016, at 10:46 PM, David Hedlund wrote:
> Should we also add "Ad-free freedom betrayed" - Adblock Plus white lists
> sponsored ads.

First, I don't think a tag for adblockers which allow ads is broad
enough to justify a tag.

I agree.

Perhaps "Privacy leaking" is a better, more general tag that would be useful.

Still, I see a problem in actually defining exactly what that means; and in applying it to the corpus of software in the directory.