Re: [directory-discuss] Game plan for 'bait and surrender' and 'freedom

From: Ian Kelling
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Game plan for 'bait and surrender' and 'freedom betrayed' packages in the directory
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 07:25:58 -0800

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016, at 02:10 PM, Svetlana Tkachenko wrote:
> Donald Robertson <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > At the meeting Friday we discussed a few different situations that we
> > want to do something about on the directory. For each issue we have a
> > proposed solution and some possible text. We would love to get your
> > feedback on the solution, as well as help with the text.
>
> Instead, I would suggest to host a mirror where the proprietary version
> is not linked in any way or form.

Donald did say:

> we should also make
> sure to not link to the company's sites where they are offering the
> proprietary version, and instead link people directly to repos or other
> useful places that only show the free version.

Which I think should apply to both categories mentioned. And if
there are no links which only show the free version, then we don't
put any links and mention that we encourage someone to take
it upon themselves to host a site which only shows the free version.
I don't think the fsd should take on hosting itself at this point.