dfey-nw-discuss

Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] "Tomorrow's Web"

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] "Tomorrow's Web"
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 22:50:37 +0100

Stephen Mount wrote:
 > Although I don't think the DFEY crew are the appropriate audience for
this event, as we don't all seem to aspire to be a founder of a website which allows you to poke people.

 <snip>

You can find out all about it here:-

http://tomorrowswebconf.com/index.php

I'd like to give my perspective on Tommorrow's Web Conference.

I do, on principle like the idea of event's involving young people & technology as I feel anything that brings together technologically adept young people is a worthwhile activity.

However, that said, I am very concerned about several aspects of Tommorrow's Web.

* It's unclear what it's about.

So the website says:
"The Tomorrow's Web Conference brings youth and technology together in London, this coming August 8th. It's the first of it's kind to hit the UK, and is already set to be a truly unique and exciting event, and with over 9 hours worth of planned speakers, panels and startup pitches, you can see why!

Learn from the entrepreneurs and innovators of tomorrow, find out what they're thinking about current and future topics on the web. Be part of something extraordinary and talk with future potential Mark Zuckerbergs. As well as playing a key role in supporting the future of the industry."

Which is fairly vague marketing patter, when one goes to:
http://tomorrowswebconf.com/agenda.php
There is no agenda, and so it is very hard to get a feel for what it's about which worries me.
As someone suggested on IRC earlier about something else:
"if it had clear direction at the beginning only people who agreed with that direction would've joined and so it'd be able to work together better."

For me to suggest to anyone, they should commit any amount of money to travel costs going to an event, I need to have a clear idea of what the event is about.

I can't do this at the moment.

* Speakers

Take a look at this link:
http://tomorrowswebconf.com/speakers.php

Great! So the entrepreneurs and innovators we are learning from include two esteemed vloggers and a guy who once received a phone call from Scotland's first minister in his Geography lesson.

With all due respect, I'm not sure how this has anything to do with the subject of the conference. Of course, not having a clear idea about what the conference actually is about might or might not make talks from people who have received phone calls from important people relevant.

(Disclaimer: I have been asked to speak at the event myself on general free software advocacy - not really something that's my strong point)

* It feels very commercially orientated.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not an anti-capitalist or anything quite so exciting, I'm all for teenage entrepreneurship, I indulge in a bit myself, but should teen entrepreneurs be courting Venture capitalists from the word go, giving pitches for their ideas to "dragons" (aka VC's).

In my opinion probably not.
You may, if you are lucky find yourself in the position of Larry & Sergey in a few years time, but many web entrepreneurs are successful and never touch VC money, building one's businesses organically.

Running a session on businesses for dummies would be much appreciated by one person here at least, but why do I already have to have an idea to get the advice in the form of a pitch.

* Exploitation

I'm somewhat worried about the members of DFEY being commercially exploited without perhaps realising it at first.

On several occasions I have refered work to friends of mine who are involved in DFEY. Before passing anything on, I am very careful to make sure that I trust the work not to mess one around and that I would do the work myself for whatever was being offered, if I could/was free.

Having put in 3 months of elbow grease to produce setup a completely functional e-commerce during my GCSE mocks for just £300, I have learned the hard way about projects to just *not* get involved with.

I'm very worried that there may be people looking to exploit people's technological capabilities and natural goodwill for their own gain, without any regard for what might be "fair".

(As a rule of thumb if it's not a free software project and they want you to work for nothing or don't discuss payment, run away fast)

* Data Security

I know may people in DFEY value the security of their data very highly, so one thing that unnerved me was when one of the organisers asked me for contact details and URLs of young people involved in DFEY. When asked "er, why?", the response came back - to add to a database of young people interested in technology.

I quickly declined.

Neither I personally nor DFEY are in the business of passing on your information without your knowledge or consent.

Posting to the mailing list reaches most people anyway.

* Marketing of the event

I have been quite concerned by how this event has been aggressively marketed to people.

Several times during it's build up I have seen tweets to the effect of "Over $number people are attending Tomorrows Web". The tomorrow's web sign up page lists who has signed up. The number of people on the list has always been ~25% less than the $number specified in the tweets. This practise of aggressively rounding figures up may work out well for some, but to me it doesn't send out a good ethos to me.

I would dearly like tomorrow's web to be a success - the chances are I'll end up putting up the money to get down to london, but due to what I've just explained I can't recommend going.

I do hope what I've mentioned gets addressed and I'm able to suggest people might like to go, but for the time being, I would keep an arms length.

Regards,

Tim