dev-serveez

Re: [dev-serveez] A word about network bindings

From: Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] A word about network bindings
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 18:24:44 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, stefan wrote:

>  * Why can I bind() via SO_BINDTODEVICE *and* INADDR_ANY/others?  Which is
>    preferred?

SO_BINDTODEVICE

>  * Is it possible to keep bindings via SO_BINDTODEVICE on builtin ippp's?

version 1) IP address does not change:
 - yes, as above

version 2) IP address changes:
  - yes, as above

-> ippp devices stay alive wether online or not. bindings to ippp devices
work even when the ip address of the device changes.

>  * Do SO_BINDTODEVICE bindings include aliases?

yes.

binding to device aliases (eth0:0) does not work: invalid
argument. binding to eth0 and connecting to eth0:0 establishes the
connection via the device binding.

-> SO_BINDTODEVICE refers to real hardware devices.

( everything subject to Linux 2.2.18 and 2.4.17 )

i take bets how other OSes handle device bindings...
...if they provide SO_BINDTODEVICE at all.

        Raimund, made to do it by Stefan