Re: Denemo Print View only displays Errors.

From: Stephen Crowley
Subject: Re: Denemo Print View only displays Errors.
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 13:13:36 -0500

The file I downloaded was from http://denemo.org/~jjbenham/denemo-mingw/denemo-2.5.0.zip on March 10 at 08:36  hours EST.
Previously I downloaded http://www.denemo.org/~rshann/Denemo2.44Installer.exe but had the same problems and then went to the zipped application to try and get a fix.

I saw http://www.denemo.org/~jjbenham/mxe/denemo.zip but thought it to be a beta version with possible problems that is why I went with  http://denemo.org/~jjbenham/denemo-mingw/denemo-2.5.0.zip.
I will try the denemo .zip file.

Here is a screen grab of the Externals Lilypond link. It is valid but I am not sure about the Graphics Editor. I can not find that path.
image.png

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 12:21 PM Richard Shann <richard@rshann.plus.com> wrote:
On Thu, 2021-03-11 at 07:41 -0500, Stephen Crowley wrote:
> Thank you both for your prompt response to my issue. As of this
> morning whenever I start Denemo it opens the last project along with
> the Print View window with the error message. I close the print view
> window. Open a new file. Create a simple scale,

no need to do that, just
File->New
and it should typeset.

>  invoke Typeset Music from the menu bar, the Print view window opens
> empty and then populates with the error message.
>
> I can appreciate that poking around the command buttons may have
> changed a setting that may be causing the problem. I have reinstalled
> the app on the primary drive of my Windows 10 machine and, as
> prompted, did not restore previous settings or preferences. I start
> up the app and it immediately looks for the last file worked on.
>
> I then copied the denemo-2.5.0.zip file

Where & when precisely did that file come from? Just before the release
was announced we were fighting a bug with the Windows build where the
LilyPond that was bundled did not work. This got fixed, and I announced
the release and set the links on the Downloads page at denemo.org to
point to the fixed zip file.

>  to another hard drive on my machine, and to my disappointment when
> it opened it did not open with a new file and empty Print Window
> screen, it opened with the last file from the previous install and
> the same error message. Registry values are persisting.
Denemo doesn't mess with Registry values, what is persisting is the
preferences folder for version 2.5.0 (the name of the folder is
.denemo-2.5.0 which Windows puts in something called AppData if I
recall correctly).

> I don't see any uninstall feature, or a restore to default settings
> feature that might save the day.

Yes, it would be good to have an option to start afresh, however I'm
pretty sure it's not your problem(*), I think your .zip file is bad.

The easiest way to cut through the fog would be for you to download the
latest version 2.5.1 which is at:

http://denemo.org/~jjbenham/mxe/denemo.zip

when you run this version it will ask if you want to keep your
preferences etc and you can say no. It should then start with a blank
score which should typeset ok (it may take quite a long time for this
first typeset as it spends ages caching fonts and so on, just make a
coffee while you wait for the Print View to be populated). I've just
downloaded and done just that and it has a working version of LilyPond.

I have also downloaded and tested the 2.5.0 zip file from the Downloads
page
http://denemo.org/~jjbenham/denemo-mingw/denemo-2.5.0.zip
and that is working too. But I suspect the zip file you have is one of
the trial builds from before the release.

Richard
(*) ok, it *is* possible that you have the File->Edit->Change
Preferences->Externals->lilypond field set to something bad and that
would give the "nothing typesets" problem. If you think you may have
messed with that you could email the value you can see in that field -
it should be set to the bundled LilyPond program inside you extracted
zip file).