Re: Releasing Denemo Version 2.4.0

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Releasing Denemo Version 2.4.0
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 14:17:46 +0100

On Sun, 2020-05-17 at 12:41 +0200, Edgar Aichinger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> do I understand correctly that this is not the final releasetarball
> that will be linked from the download page once someone with
> permissions generates and uploads it?

I thought that was the right thing, but evidently not. I think it
should be the result of

./autogen.sh && ./configure && make dist
which I have not uploaded - perhaps Jeremiah can do this and put it on
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/denemo/

just now my internet connection has gone extremely bad - I'm hoping this email
will get through, but I don't think I will be able to upload anything until the
problem is fixed, which may be very difficult right now.

> The git tarball you posted IMO presents a bit of a problem
> for  packagers, because it doesn't supply ./configure. As I
> understand it, releases should include ./configure, SCM snapshots
> shouldn't,
>
> That's of course something I can work around by adding ./autogen.sh
> and build dependencies for autotools to my spec file. But up to now
> I've only built release versions in my package, and I try to keep the
> spec as clean as possible. except for the AppImage I'm also
> generating via OBS, which I can update to current git whenever I
> want...
>
> So I wonder if I should wait for a proper release tarball?

yes, please wait until a definitive tarball is created.

Sorry for the confusion,