Re: [Denemo-devel] inserting chords

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] inserting chords
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 18:08:08 +0000

On Sun, 2014-11-09 at 18:22 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> As entering the pitches
I think you meant rhythms/durations?
>  first is the recommended procedure, I mostly use
> it as well. Though once I get my script working, I will try another
> workflow where I enter durations and pitches simultaneously -- with one
> hand on the keys (for the pitch) and one hand on the trigger pads of my
> master keyboard (for the duration).
> For changing notes in a chord (which I often do while arranging), I do
> not know a good way. When I press a key on the MIDI keyboard while
> holding the alt key on the PC keyboard, a note is added, but I cannot
> remove a note of the chord that way. (I would expect that pressing the
> key of a note that is already present in the chord would delete it, but
> in fact the note in inserted a second time into the chord.) So in 90% of
> the cases I fall back to removing the chord and re-entering the changed
> one, but that is not very efficient. Is there something I am missing?

I don't think so, I haven't done anything much with entering chords or
editing them via MIDI controller :(

> The easiest way I can think of would be to be able to edit a chord while
> holding the sustain pedal, i.e. pressing a key would add or remove a
> note of the chord depending on whether it is already present in the chord.

Well a MIDI filter could certainly do that but someone would have to
write it.

I guess the built-in code could (perhaps) switch to deleting if the note
is already present - I'll take a look at that.

Richard