Re: [Denemo-devel] spastic tooltips won't go away

From: Bric
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] spastic tooltips won't go away
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 09:29:10 -0400

On 03/23/2014 08:29 AM, Richard Shann wrote:
On Sun, 2014-03-23 at 08:16 -0400, Bric wrote:
On 03/23/2014 07:57 AM, Richard Shann wrote:
Can you post you denemorc file (in .denemo-1.1.2 under your home
directory)?
here it is:  http://www.flight.us/misc/denemo/denemorc-1.1.2.txt
this looks ok.

Do you still get slow cursor animation?
Actually, no.  The horizontal scrolling animation and cursor animation
are GONE (and I am very happy about that :-) -- others, with
faster/better-working systems might be enjoying it, of course).
My question wasn't whether the work around of turning it off was
working, I assumed that. What I was asking is, if you turn on cursor
animation is it still slow?

The reason I ask is because I suspect these are related. Something is
bad with your drawing, and I suspect it is some bug in the
Gtk/Gdk/Glib/Cairo stuff that does drawing the display. The same badness
(miss-matched libraries?) may be causing the tooltip timeout to be
ignored. There is a binary for GNU/Linux which comes with its own set of
libraries, I have tested this on a 32-bit system and it worked just
fine.
Please say if this
http://denemo.org/downloads/denemo-1.1.2-0.linux-x86.tar.xz

well, whatyaknow! The above binary runs, and does NOT have the tooltip insanity !

(it also has a different look-and-feel (mostly for the better, i think), and loads/inherits my shortcuts and settings (from the local 1.1.2 build)

I do wonder how I can build it locally properly. After all, I upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04, bleeding-edge (and did quite a bit of bleeding in the process -- it nearly lacerated my vital organs, crippling former functionality and wiping out essential settings)

so... shouldn't I be able to build with all the latest, greatest components?

thanks again.