Re: [Demexp-dev] Re: win32 and GTK

From: GISQUET Christophe
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] Re: win32 and GTK
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:19:33 +0200

Good evening,

I've updated the installer with the latest change, i.e. embedded GTK installer + detection:
http://christophe.gisquet.free.fr/demexp/demexp-0.7beta-2.exe

Of interest are difficult scenarios where:
- the user has (very) limited rights
- no GTK installation exists
- an installation exists, possibly installed by someone (root) with higher
rights.

I believe this is still somewhat unstable so some tests are required.

I have attached a patch that expects the GTK+ installer to be named "gtk2-runtime-2.8.18-setup-1.exe" and present in the win32 folder. Most modifiable strings are available at the beginning of demexp.nsi. In addition, but this is not included nor demonstrated, even the installer can have custom translations.

GISQUET Christophe a écrit :
The only remaining question is the behaviour of embedded GTK installer
when GTK is already installed on user machien (e.g. from a The Gimp
installation).

The Gimp GTK installer properly detects a previous installation by:
- detecting some registry keys (I'll do the same)

I'm detecting and displaying the GTK version. GTK is not installed if a version is already installed. Note: this detection is somewhat unsufficient, a broken installer/desinstallation or some other unusual situation may trick it.

- proposing to remove it

I leave that work to the integrated gtk installer which is included. It is extracted to the TEMP folder ("Docs & Settings\<Users>\Temp" or the like) and run from it. This occurs as the very step of the installation. If the GTK installer is canceled/..., demexp installation fails.

The later point begs for the question: should we include libglade dll within demexp package or should we use a GTK installer providing it? I

Former solution implemented.

So the demexp installer would do those steps:
- detect GTK and deduce whether to install it; this is an incomplete decision, as it should also find if it is recent enough, and propose to update/uninstall it

only first verification implemented.

- display what software will be installed; those would be unmodifiable check boxes showing what is going to be installed: demexp always ticked, and GTK box ticked depending on previous result

Done. GTK check box can't be modified; I don't think the case where people want to force the installation of the demexp version is worth the modifications.

- if GTK is to be installed, extract the setup to demexp install folder, then run this setup; canceling the GTK setup should cancel the demexp setup

Done.

Best regards,
--
Christophe GISQUET