Re: [Demexp-dev] Thoughts on voting machines

From: skaller
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] Thoughts on voting machines
Date: 20 Sep 2004 14:43:31 +1000

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 09:23, Brian Hurt wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, David MENTRE wrote:
>
> > The scope of this project is to make an electronic voting system
> > suitable to the requirements of the democratic experience project.
>
> One thing you don't make clear: who is our target audience?  Are we
> talking about online preference polling, online community organization
> (eg Debian), "non-political" votes (eg American Idol), or official
> political votes?

The project is about the 'democratic experience'. That seems to
indicate allowing people to learn what it is like to actually
have some political power. This experience may encourage
confidence in democracy. It may also lead to informed discussion
of how commuities make decisions.

There is no such thing as a 'non-political' vote. Community
decision making IS politics.

--
John Skaller, mailto:address@hidden
voice: 061-2-9660-0850,