classpathx-javamail

[Classpathx-javamail] Re: Gnu mail bug

From: Chris Burdess
Subject: [Classpathx-javamail] Re: Gnu mail bug
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:51:16 +0000

Countach wrote:
The trouble is, this only allows for relative names. My original patch checked for the leading '/' so that you could use relative or absolute paths.

The problem is that URLName.getFile returns paths that do not include the leading '/', unlike java.net.URL. Typically, in JavaMail applications, the mailbox is represented as a URLName rather than the user being able to specify the exact string to pass to getFolder(). We need a consistent way to treat file paths that doesn't depend on a leading '/' - if you have any suggestions they would be most welcome.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. The name argument passed to getFolder is pretty much just a string that can have any significance necessary for that type of mail repository. It is not a URL. It is the name argument that is checked to see if it starts with "/", not the url nor the File.

The problem is, where does the string that gets passed to getFolder come from? In many JavaMail applications it comes from the getFile method of URLName, which cannot return a string that begins with "/".
--
Chris Burdess