classpathx-javamail

[Classpathx-javamail] Re: Gnu mail bug

From: Countach
Subject: [Classpathx-javamail] Re: Gnu mail bug
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:04:36 +1100

Chris Burdess wrote:

Countach wrote:

You seem to have changed my patch resulting in a bug.

My patch said:

 protected MboxFolder(MboxStore store, String name, boolean inbox)
 {
   super(store);
   this.name = name;
   if (0 < name.length() && name.charAt(0) == '/') {
     file = new File(canonicalNameToLocal(name));
   } else {
file = new File(store.getMailRootDir(), canonicalNameToLocal(name));
   }

But the cvs code seems to say:

 protected MboxFolder(MboxStore store, String name, boolean inbox)
 {
   super(store);
   this.name = name;
   file = new File(store.getMailRootDir(), canonicalNameToLocal(name));

The trouble is, this only allows for relative names. My original patch checked for the leading '/' so that you could use relative or absolute paths.

The problem is that URLName.getFile returns paths that do not include the leading '/', unlike java.net.URL. Typically, in JavaMail applications, the mailbox is represented as a URLName rather than the user being able to specify the exact string to pass to getFolder(). We need a consistent way to treat file paths that doesn't depend on a leading '/' - if you have any suggestions they would be most welcome.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. The name argument passed to getFolder is pretty much just a string that can have any significance necessary for that type of mail repository. It is not a URL. It is the name argument that is checked to see if it starts with "/", not the url nor the File.