updating java.beans class to 1.5

From: Robert Schuster
Subject: updating java.beans class to 1.5
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:51:17 +0200

Hi there,
in an attempt to fix bug 10799 I saw that the affected class (java.beans.PropertyEditorSupport) needs some general cleanup and fixing (it was last modified in 1998!). I took the online version of the 1.5 API documentation and realized that the 2 constructors are now public (were protected) and two new methods have been added. My question is: Should I stick with strict 1.4 compatibility (no public constructors, no new methods) or upgrade everything to be up to date?

AFAIK the changes Sun made are binary compatible or am I wrong?

cu
Robert