Re: RFC: remove print statements from Security

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: RFC: remove print statements from Security
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 09:55:34 +0000

Mark Wielaard wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 23:02, Bryce McKinlay wrote:

Mark Wielaard wrote:

If you remove this could you add a little note to VM Integration Guide
doc/vmintegration.texinfo about the importance of setting up the system
property gnu.classpath.home.url and how it is used by Security,
LogManager and InitialContext to find default configuration files.

Is there a reason to use a non-standard system property here? whats wrong with java.home?

[snip]

But I am not too attached to the current implementation. And the
gnu.classpath.home.url property is currently only used for Security,
LogManager and the InitialContext properties. So it shouldn't be hard to
rewrite it to something else if you care.

I'd propose to use different, better named URLs instead of a generic java.home one with some magic paths appended to it. I'be for using explicit gnu.classpath.security.configuration.url, gnu.classpath.logging.configuration.url and gnu.classpath.naming.confoguration.url properties.

The reasoning behind is that using a single magic property with some more path magic applied to it codifies a particular undocumented expectation on the source tree & installed tree layout. That's a bad thing in my experience.

It makes GNU Classpath unmodified harder in Kaffe, as I have to play tricks in the bild system, or to spend time maintaining trivial changes manually in sync with the GNU Classpath, as I already do for the DSO names.

cheers,
dalibor topic