Re: Moving system properties to gnu.classpath.*

From: Archie Cobbs
Subject: Re: Moving system properties to gnu.classpath.*
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:56:58 -0500 (CDT)

Jeroen Frijters wrote:
> > Just because you load your own classes doesn't mean they aren't
> > subject to whatever SecurityManager is in place, right?
> > So how could they do anything not already allowed?
>
> In theory you're right, but in practice the VMs probably have lots of
> bugs.

Sure.. but bugs are not a reason to implement something incorrectly.
I.e., the blame for bugs isn't transitive (screaming customers
notwithstanding :-)

> > Also, I thought the VM spec required java.lang.* could only be
> > loaded by the bootstrap loader. Do you have an example source file
> > that demonstrates this bug?

I don't get the crash...

    $ java -version
    java version "1.4.2-p5"
    $ javac Crash.java && java Crash
    Note: Crash.java uses or overrides a deprecated API.
    Note: Recompile with -deprecation for details.
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.VerifyError: (class: java/lang/Object,
method: <init> signature: ()V) Constructor must call super() or this()
            at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:1610)
            at Crash.main(Crash.java:58)

Maybe this has been fixed in 1.4.2?

-Archie