Re: Moving system properties to gnu.classpath.*

From: Archie Cobbs
Subject: Re: Moving system properties to gnu.classpath.*
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:50:51 -0500 (CDT)

Jeroen Frijters wrote:
> True, but in reality I've never seen any evidence (or even suggestions)
> that creating a class loader is safe on any VM (in fact, the Sun 1.4 VM
> allows a custom class loader to redefine java.lang.Object and crash the
> VM).

Trying to fully understand... pardon my questions.. why is creating
a user-defined class loader not "safe"? Just because you load your
own classes doesn't mean they aren't subject to whatever SecurityManager
is in place, right? So how could they do anything not already allowed?

Also, I thought the VM spec required java.lang.* could only be
loaded by the bootstrap loader. Do you have an example source file
that demonstrates this bug?

-Archie