Re: Moving system properties to gnu.classpath.*

From: Andrew Haley
Subject: Re: Moving system properties to gnu.classpath.*
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:41:22 +0100

Archie Cobbs writes:
 > Jeroen Frijters wrote:
 > > True, but in reality I've never seen any evidence (or even suggestions)
 > > that creating a class loader is safe on any VM (in fact, the Sun 1.4 VM
 > > allows a custom class loader to redefine java.lang.Object and crash the
 > > VM).
 >
 > Trying to fully understand... pardon my questions.. why is creating
 > a user-defined class loader not "safe"? Just because you load your
 > own classes doesn't mean they aren't subject to whatever SecurityManager
 > is in place, right? So how could they do anything not already allowed?

Well, there's the famous "Java is not type-safe"
<http://matrix.research.att.com/vj/bug.html> but AFAIK that was fixed
by loading constraints
<http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/10936_2248831_2>

More stuff at "Type safety in the JVM: some problems in Java 2 SDK 1.2
and proposed solutions"
<http://www.kestrel.edu/HTML/projects/java/ccpe01.pdf>

AFAIK these are now fixed...

Andrew.