Re: Swing/Graphics2D

From: Erwin Bolwidt
Subject: Re: Swing/Graphics2D
Date: 12 Jan 2003 17:05:08 +0100

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 01:23, Artur Biesiadowski wrote:
> BTW, do you know about ANY real-world program which actually used custom
> Composite implementation ? Or custom Paint implementation ? I'm really
> angry at all this Raster stuff - it makes hardware acceleration of most
> things really hard.

I believe any SVG rendering tool will have a RadialGradient
implementation of the Paint interface, since only a linear gradient is
included in the JDK.

I've been playing around with Java2D and some applications that use it
and I haven't seen other implementations of those interfaces yet outside
the that one and the ones in the JDK.

Btw, it's probably hard, but if you implement it with some sort of
pipeline architecture like Sun claims to use, you can select
hardware-accelerated implementations when this is possible and use
software rendering when some component or rendering-hint that can't be
accelerated is used.

>From what I understand the main problem Sun has is making a
hardware-accelerated operation look exactly the same as the
software-rendered version, since the Graphics2D implementation doesn't
know when you start drawing whether all operations can be hardware
accellerated. But if you look at the rendering-hints, and the
application has selected the speed-over-quality hint, you may get away
with some minor inconsistencies.

Erwin

--
Erwin Bolwidt <address@hidden>