Re: 0.05 Update [was Re: 0.05]

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: 0.05 Update [was Re: 0.05]
Date: 11 Jan 2003 19:02:18 -0500

Dalibor Topic <address@hidden> writes:

> I'll look into some other Classpath-vs-Kaffe
> collections issues, and post bug reports if I find
> any.

Okay.

> > > * Resolve javax.sound - http://tritonus.org/
> >
> > Want to try this out and hopefully point users to
> > it.
>
> I've merged it into kaffe last week ;). It works,
> except for some issues with MIDI that are getting
> resolved. Matthias Pfisterer has just added the
> missing bits from the API spec, which will come into
> kaffe's CVS tomorrow, I hope.

Interesting, not sure if we can or should include it directly as it is
LGPL, but providing the javax.sound API if not a default
implementation would still help round things out.

> > > * Resolve the org.omg.* issues and implement
> > whatever we decide.
> > >   Currently, this is something I need to followup
> > on.
>
> I was thinking about merging in bits from JacORB into
> kaffe eventually. Is that the implementation you are
> going to use?

I'll have to take a look, essentially this refers to the licensing on
org.omg.* as released from the OMG.  Not sure what JacORB is using for
the interfaces.

> BTW, has anyone looket at the FreeHEP Java libraries?
> They seem to have implemented a lot of pure java image
> codecs. That might provide an interesting way to
> implement javax.imageio plugins in the long run.

I've not looked at it.

> Also, I think it could be possible to use JTidy to
> implement parts of javax.swing.text.html, if someone
> wants to do it. Or to use GNU JAXP, but I'd guess that
> JTydy would be a more failure tolerant solution.

Swing is nearly as big as all of the rest of JDK 1.1, and I think
newer versions of Swing rely on Java2D as well which is also going to
be a huge project of its own.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>