Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: repository branching

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: repository branching
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:45:46 +0900

    Felix> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Alex Shinn <address@hidden> wrote:
    >>
    >> And what percentage of those can be accommodated with
    >> a simple cond-expand in the source instead of a whole
    >> separate branch?  It should be 100% - Chicken has
    >> extremely powerful compile-time semantics - and this
    >> should also make maintenance easier in those cases
    >> than maintaining two branches.  Everybody wins.

    Felix> There are people that would find this
    Felix> unacceptable. Keeping backwards compatibility
    Felix> with cond-expand can result in highly convoluted
    Felix> code.

In some cases, yes, especially with weaker languages like C.
You have a lot more abstraction power in Scheme.  And I
don't imagine the differences being very much - the core of
Chicken is unlikely to change so drastically that the entire
logic of an existing egg needs to change as well.

    >> I share your frustration - enough so that I've just
    >> temporarily put off all egg development to see how
    >> this all plays out.

    Felix> I don't think sulking will help.

I'm not sulking, I'm lazy :) I don't want to look into what
I need to do to keep up with the change in infrastructure.

--
Alex