RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom/GCL on windows

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom/GCL on windows
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 23:12:51 -0500

On December 11, 2006 11:40 AM Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Bill Page wrote:
>
> | On December 10, 2006 11:41 PM Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> | > Axiom build-improvements branch revision 395 contains all the
> | > necessary bits to build Axiom on windows and reproduce the
> | > above. Please could you give it a try?
> | >

> | I pulled the latest patches to build-improvements and tried an
> | out-of-source build in MSYS but
> |
> |   mkdir axiom.test
> |   cd axiom.test
> |   ../build-improvements/configure
> |
> | hangs my Windows XP system during a confidence test. I am not
> | able even to kill the process.
>
> That is very odd.

Yes, it was VERY ODD indeed, but it turned out not to be a problem
with MSYS/MinGW or build-improvements at all. See solution below.

> | This same MSYS environment builds axiom--windows--1 and
> | gcl-2.6.8pre with no problems.

After a little more testing, I discovered that this problem was
not limited to build-improvements. Contrary to what I said above
the build of axiom--windows--1 and gcl also failed.

> | Can you give me some more specifics about how you are testing
> | this on windows?
>
> I pretty much do the same thing as you.
>
>   (1) get the axiom source
>   (2) create a build directory
>   (3) invoke configure
>   (4) make
>
> Could you send me the (partial) config.log?

After spending most of the day on this problem, I finally
determined that at random places during the configure (or in
fact any long build operation involving MinGW) some process
named 'LVPrcSrv.exe' was suddenly hogging 99% of all available
CPU time. Google told me that this program was part of the
Logitech QuikCam video effects package. In fact I had installed
the new camera and software about a couple of months ago. And
another search turned up reports of exactly this type of problem
reported by cygwin users with a work-round of stopping the video
effects service. (I have not yet been able to find a fix for
this from Logitech.)

The final result.

As you asked, I was able to run:

  mkdir axiom.test
  cd axiom.test
  ../build-improvements/configure
  make

up to this point:

compiling SETCAT-.lsp to SETCAT-.o
compiling SINT.lsp to SINT.o
compiling STAGG.lsp to STAGG.o
compiling STAGG-.lsp to STAGG-.o
compiling SYMBOL.lsp to SYMBOL.o
compiling TSETCAT.lsp to TSETCAT.o
compiling TSETCAT-.lsp to TSETCAT-.o
compiling UFD.lsp to UFD.o
compiling UFD-.lsp to UFD-.o
compiling ULSCAT.lsp to ULSCAT.o
compiling UPOLYC.lsp to UPOLYC.o
compiling UPOLYC-.lsp to UPOLYC-.o
compiling URAGG.lsp to URAGG.o
compiling URAGG-.lsp to URAGG-.o
compiling VECTOR.lsp to VECTOR.o
=====================================
=== algebra bootstrap complete ======
=====================================
compiling AHYP.spad to AHYP.NRLIB
/bin/sh: ./../..//build/i686-pc-mingw32/bin/interpsys: No such file or
directory
make[2]: *** [../..//int/algebra/AHYP.NRLIB/code.o] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Administrator/axiom/src/algebra'
make[1]: *** [all-algebra] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Administrator/axiom/src'
make: *** [all-src] Error 2

This looks very promising to me.

I recall a problem similar to this in the axiom--windows--1
build. Did you catch the patch from axiom--windows--1 in boot
where you need to ignore CR in windows line endings?

I will look at this further tomorrow.