RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom/GCL on windows

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom/GCL on windows
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 00:41:11 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Bill Page wrote:

[...]

| After spending most of the day on this problem, I finally
| determined that at random places during the configure (or in
| fact any long build operation involving MinGW) some process
| named 'LVPrcSrv.exe' was suddenly hogging 99% of all available
| CPU time. Google told me that this program was part of the
| Logitech QuikCam video effects package. In fact I had installed
| the new camera and software about a couple of months ago. And
| another search turned up reports of exactly this type of problem
| reported by cygwin users with a work-round of stopping the video
| effects service. (I have not yet been able to find a fix for
| this from Logitech.)

Woaw!  I was mant light-years away of guessing that.

| The final result.
|
| As you asked, I was able to run:
|
|   mkdir axiom.test
|   cd axiom.test
|   ../build-improvements/configure
|   make
|
| up to this point:

| compiling SETCAT-.lsp to SETCAT-.o
| compiling SINT.lsp to SINT.o
| compiling STAGG.lsp to STAGG.o
| compiling STAGG-.lsp to STAGG-.o
| compiling SYMBOL.lsp to SYMBOL.o
| compiling TSETCAT.lsp to TSETCAT.o
| compiling TSETCAT-.lsp to TSETCAT-.o
| compiling UFD.lsp to UFD.o
| compiling UFD-.lsp to UFD-.o
| compiling ULSCAT.lsp to ULSCAT.o
| compiling UPOLYC.lsp to UPOLYC.o
| compiling UPOLYC-.lsp to UPOLYC-.o
| compiling URAGG.lsp to URAGG.o
| compiling URAGG-.lsp to URAGG-.o
| compiling VECTOR.lsp to VECTOR.o
| =====================================
| === algebra bootstrap complete ======
| =====================================
| compiling AHYP.spad to AHYP.NRLIB
| /bin/sh: ./../..//build/i686-pc-mingw32/bin/interpsys: No such file or
| directory

Ah, yes; that means the segfault occured earlier resulting in
interpsys not being created.

[...]

| This looks very promising to me.

Thanks.

| I recall a problem similar to this in the axiom--windows--1
| build. Did you catch the patch from axiom--windows--1 in boot
| where you need to ignore CR in windows line endings?

No, unfortunately not.  I thought of a CR problem corruptign the
databases; but I also remember Tim saying that those files are not
text files so I just assumed they are marked binary and kept as such.

I'm trying to build Axiom with AXIOM and SPAD set to relative
paths and see what happens (testing Vanuxem's findings).

Thanks,