Re: [Axiom-developer] Question concerning types...

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Question concerning types...
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 14:56:29 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> wrote:

> | Wouldn't that information be associated with the variable n?
>
> but "n"'s type isn't Variable(some type), it is "some type", meaning,
> it holds *values* of that type.

OK.

> But you want it to hold a token of some type.  That is a different
> story.

Surely that isn't a surprising way to want to use a CAS?

I'm actually surprised something like a1 : Integer would be handled any
other way then as a token with type, but again that may just be me not
knowing enough.

> With systems that do "symbolic" manipulations, you don't get that
> trouble; with with systems like Axiom that do actually computations,
> you have to go through an additional indirection.

I'm not sure I'm totally clear on the distinction.  After all, Axiom
can do things like integrate(1/(1+x^4),x) and provide a result - how is
that not a symbolic manipulation?

Cheers,
CY