[Axiom-developer] Question concerning types...

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Question concerning types...
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 09:40:38 -0700 (PDT)

Question came up on IRC, and I'm curious.  Given the following:

                        AXIOM Computer Algebra System
                       Version: Axiom (September 2006)
             Timestamp: Saturday September 9, 2006 at 11:29:25
   Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
   Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
   Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.

   Re-reading compress.daase   Re-reading interp.daase
   Re-reading operation.daase
   Re-reading category.daase
   Re-reading browse.daase
(1) ->
(1) -> a1 : Quaternion Fraction Integer

Type: Void
(2) -> a2 : Quaternion Fraction Integer

Type: Void
(3) -> a3 : Quaternion Fraction Integer

Type: Void
(4) -> a4 : Quaternion Fraction Integer

Type: Void
(5) -> a1
 5) ->
   a1 is declared as being in Quaternion Fraction Integer but has not
      been given a value.
(5) -> m := matrix[[a1,a2],[a3,a4]]
 5) ->
   a1 is declared as being in Quaternion Fraction Integer but has not
      been given a value.
(5) ->

Why isn't this allowed?  I want a1->a4 to be variables without assigned
value, and I want to create a symbolic matric where all I know about
the entries is their type, in order to do general solving operations.
How would I set this up correctly in Axiom?

Cheers,
CY