Re: [Axiom-developer] Question concerning types...

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Question concerning types...
Date: 16 Sep 2006 23:29:04 +0200

C Y <address@hidden> writes:

| --- Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> wrote:
|
| > HI Cliff,
|
| Hey Ralf.
|
| > MachineInteger is in libaldor what SingleInteger is in Axiom. For a
| > particular element of that type you have exactly 32 bits.
| > Let's appreviate "macro I == MachineInteger;". Now, if you say
| >
| > m: I;
| >
| > in the interpreter, the interpreter has to take care of the fact that
| > this m does not have a value, since any of the 32 bits is reserved
| > for holding a true MachineInteger. Now assume you do simply
| >
| > n: I := m + m;
| >
| > then n does not have a value. However, there is a relation between m
| > and n. Where do you store that information? Certainly not in
| > MachineInteger.
|
| Wouldn't that information be associated with the variable n?

but "n"'s type isn't Variable(some type), it is "some type", meaning,
it holds *values* of that type.  But you want it to hold a token of
some type.  That is a different story.  With systems that do
"symbolic" manipulations, you don't get that trouble; with with
systems like Axiom that do actually computations, you have to go
through an additional indirection.