RE: [Axiom-developer] SVN on sourceforge

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] SVN on sourceforge
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:19:59 -0400

On September 13, 2006 9:01 AM Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

> OK, a few more file types that I am unsure of...
> Not that I cannot recognise text files... what worries me
> is whether Axiom still treats them correctly if they are
> checked out under Windows and compiled there natively.

I am moving between Windows and Linux/Unix all the time.
The difference between line endings is seldom a problem
for text files but the way some systems bend over backwards
try to "help" you with this non-problem is what actually
causes the problems.

Why did the designers of SVN allow this? !! Tim, said earlier
that source archive systems should NEVER modify the source
they are asked to store and I strongly agree.

> I faintly remember that Tim said something about some files
> that have numbers in them counting the bytes to access the
> data.

I think it is funny that these files have an ascii text string
(possibly varying in length) that represents the byte offset.
It is a strange mixture of paradigms but I guess it is ok.

> If a checkout changes the line-endings the count is wrong.
> So please tell me what filetypes should keep/get the
>
> svn:eol-style=native
>
> property (ie change to native line endings at checkout).

Actually my understanding is that if we remove the svn:eol-style
properties from all files and set that as the default, then
SVN will just leave all the files alone.

> For some files I prefer to remove the "eol-style" property,
> because they are not really source files (like .ps and .eps
> files, for example).

I think we should remove it from all files and make that the
default.