RE: [Axiom-developer] GCL-2.6.8pre unable to make new image

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] GCL-2.6.8pre unable to make new image
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:06:45 -0400

Camm,

On Wednesday, August 30, 2006 10:36 AM you wrote:
> I believe the first problem you will encounter with the ansi
> image is that ansi triggers an error if an (in-package ...) is
> encountered before the corresponding (make-package ...), whereas
> the older standard implied the latter with the former.  There is
> some file earlier in your log which failed to compile is my guess.
> Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to get all exits in the
> error handler to return non-zero to the shell to abort the build
> immediately at sign of trouble.

Yes, I think you are correct. However the log does not show any
prior error message.

> Do you want to use the ansi image?  GCL has kept the older one
> around specifically for reasons like this.  Unless you are using
> oop, all you get is extra unused image size.

Yes, I still think it is a good idea to make Axiom build under
the ansi version of gcl in spite of the fact that in it's
currrent form it will not be taking advantage of the extra image
size. Standardizing the lisp dialect used in Axiom could have
some long term benefits, e.g. attract some new developers? and
make it easier to integrate standard lisp packages. (Of course
you know the "sales pitch"... :)

Anyway, I was quite pleased by how far the Axiom build got before
dying of ansi fever. Perhaps this confirms that there is not
much to be done to make the Axiom sources at least as gcl-ansi
compliant as Maxima.