Re: [Axiom-developer] GCL-2.6.8pre unable to make new image

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] GCL-2.6.8pre unable to make new image
Date: 30 Aug 2006 10:49:00 -0400

Greetings!

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

> Tim,
>
> It's too late for the midnight oil isn't it? ;)
>
> As I understand it --enable-ansi in GCL does not require
> that the source be ansi compliant but rather builds several
> variants of the gcl binary, one of which is ansi compliant.

This is not quite right -- the ansi build will trigger errors in
several places allowed to pass in the traditional image.

> There is the GCL_ANSI env variable mentioned by Camm here:
>
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2005-12/msg00276.ht
> ml
>
> whose abscense tells gcl to run in the non-ansi image.

This is read by the wrapper script in the Debian gcl package.  People
building from source by hand just get one image, the Debian package
builds four and allows the user to select at runtime with these env
variables.

> At least, I did not get any error messages that specifically
> suggested problems with non-ansi source.
>
> Note especially Camm's suggested plan towards the end of his
> email:
>
> > 1) Mod GCL to
> >    1) build axiom as is under ansi.  This is a simple conversion
> >    of the in-package failure to a warning afaict. or

We can step over the in-package error, but Paul Dietz' 'definitive'
ansi test suite demands an error here, so I think this will break
compliance.

> >    1a) ship both images starting with 2.6.8 everywhere.

Not sure what I was thinking here.

> >    2) remove compile-time memory limits in GCL.

Yes, please note that these are no longer constrained to a power of 2,
but we still have a little work to support 32bit heaps ober 2Gb.

> Camm recently complete 2). I am not sure of the other items.

Take care,