RE: [Axiom-developer] GCL-2.6.8pre unable to make new image

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] GCL-2.6.8pre unable to make new image
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 03:05:55 -0400

Gaby,

On Tuesday, August 29, 2006 5:27 PM you wrote:

>   GCL-2.6.9pre, checkout of cvs as of this morning, has problems
> making new lisp image.  More precisely, the instruction
>
>      % echo '(compiler::link nil "foo")' | gcl
>
> has GCL die with the message
>
> [...]
>
> Error: Cannot open the file
> /home/gdr/lib/gcl-2.6.8/unixport/../xgcl-2/sysdef.lisp.

I am not sure if this is the right track or not, but this error
does not occur if you build gcl with '--enable-ansi'. I believe
that this option is used on the Axiom Debian build which uses
a pre-installed gcl.

However after 'svn update' of the build_improvements branch,
my attempt to build Axiom using a pre-installed gcl built with
--enable-ansi fails with:

Finished loading
/home/page/axiom.build-improvements/obj/linux/interp/setq.lsp
Error in CONDITIONS::CLCS-LOAD [or a callee]: Cannot open the file
/home/page/axiom.build-improvements/obj/linux/interp/astr.o.

Fast links are on: do (use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Broken at BUILD-INTERPSYS.  Type :H for Help.

--------

It seems there may be other problems. Perhaps it might be a good
idea to review the Camm's Debian patches.