Re: User interface, TeXmacs and Axiom (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] backup

From: Pierre Doucy
Subject: Re: User interface, TeXmacs and Axiom (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] backups)
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 00:25:58 +0200

On 4/13/06, Antoine Hersen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Pierre
>

> > Antoine, I very much agree with you... until you start saying that
> > Emacs might do the trick ;-)
>

> I am using emacs day and night lately , I might be biased ..
>
> > Emacs is indeed very portable, very powerful, but also extremely scary
> > at first sight, in particular if you're not used to coding. Although
> > it is not impossible to master it, it requires a lot of implication
> > from the end user, which is not a good thing.
>

> Not true ...
> http://bc.tech.coop/blog/060302.html
>  I think if we use CUA( cut and paste like windows)
> Hide everything scary, create menu and toolbox. Therefore dumbing down
> emacs, write clear install direction maybe it will be manageable for
> "normal" people ?

The thing is, there are no installation directions. Eclipse is self
contained (much like an OSX app) so you copy it somewhere, click the
executable, and voila !
But stripping it down to the bare minimum for axiom would be a good
idea (i.e. the eclipse kernel + the axiom plugin).

> > I would rather use eclipse which, from a certain point of view, is
> > "emacs 30 years later" : the "interface for everything and nothing in
> > particular" approach, plus a certain degree of "cleanliness".
> > It may not be the sexiest of environments, but one can easily build a
> > very powerful user interface without coding the whole thing from
> > scratch.
>

> That is an excellent possibility I overlook.
> It is a strong choice, I dont think emacs will dye anytime soon but Eclispe
> has surely a larger user base, strong corporate support and a modern look
> and feel.
>
> Some issue :
>
> Interactive ability ?
> we should look to Python and co plug-in to see what they do.

jython ( http://www.jython.org ) or jruby ( http://jruby.sf.net )
should do the trick...

> Displaying math ? Is there some work done there ?
> I guess using latex back-end to generate png might be an option.

that
www.esr.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/VCLab/software/HotEqn/HotEqn.html
might help (beware, it tends to crash mozilla-based browsers)

> Managing noweb and latex, how much work will it be ?

Noweb shouldn't be too difficult to handle. Even a complete java
rewrite is feasible.

Latex is quite a different matter. If HotEqn isn't enough, that might
become a dependency (which is bad).

> Do yo want to investigate Pierre ?

Yep, but I won't be able to until the beginning of may.

> In general how many people able to work on the project have good java skill
> ?
> How many for elisp ?
> I am sure we will be able to get other CAS interested to such a project.
>
> I know by experience that Pierre is quite skilled in Java :)

I perfectly know what you're talking about. That whole xml
serialization stuff was a mistake. I apologize. (private joke).

Pierre