Re: User interface, TeXmacs and Axiom (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] backup

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: User interface, TeXmacs and Axiom (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] backups)
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:37:13 +0200

Hello Antoine,

2006/4/13, Antoine Hersen <address@hidden>:
> My experience is making a good UI is a lot of works( aka way more than you
> imagine)

My own experience is the same as yours.

> Before choosing a solution we should set goals and there relative
> importance. My try :

Nice summary. Could you put this on the Wiki and post the URL here?

Regarding Emacs, Eclipse, TeXmacs, ... None of them convinced me
entirely (I'm an Emacs user, reading mail and news and coding with
Emacs). Regarding Axiom, Common Lisp is a known (and standardized)
scripting language, with a lot of documentation, tutorials and
external libraries. Axiom is already written in Common Lisp, so it
would reduce the number of languages to standardize our tools on it.

You have underline an important point: we must use external
codes/projects because we can't reinvent the wheel. But we also have
our own long term objectives, that require a certain level of quality.
External code will never match exactly what we need, so we must
choose, on each specific case, whether we reuse an existing solution
or re-invent one that suites better our needs.

Best wishes,
d.