Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Aldor and Axiom

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Aldor and Axiom
Date: 15 Feb 2006 10:39:46 +0100

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

> >> How do we resolve things like Aldor's libalgebra vs. Axiom's libraries?
>
> > I would propose that we forget about Aldor's native libraries for now (as
> > nice, though limited, as they are).
>
> If I knew where to hook libaldor into Axiom, I would already have done
> so. But libaldor basically starts from zero and for Axiom the whole
> construction of the domains and categories is still mystical to me.
>
> In any case if SPAD should be translated to Aldor one has to start with some
> domain or category.

Yes. But what exactly is mystical to you? Everything starts in catdef.spad, and
in fact the code is very easy to read, I find.

The polynomial hierarchy should probably be taken from Aldor, I believe it is
superior.

So, the real effort would be to design a sound hierarchy and then translate the
bits one at a time, using new algorithms as we go along. (For example,
replacing the huge algorithm for calculating the limit of an expression by the
simple mrv algorithm also used by MuPAD)

Maybe it is even possible to mix libraries in an intermediate step, so that we
don't have to do the transition all at once.

Some time ago I proposed to Antoine to implement a hierarchy of function
domains (i.e., polynomials, rational functions, algebraic functions, holonomic
functions, etc.), since this is currently missing, resp., not well solved in
Axiom. This would also be in a sense quite independent of the implementation of
other classes, so I suppose it should be done in Aldor.

Martin