Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: tex4ht and jsmath

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: tex4ht and jsmath
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:23:57 -0500

Bill Page wrote:

> It works fine for me on Windows with both FireFox 1.5 and
> with Microsoft Explorer.

Hi Bill: Unlike Tim, I did not add ANYTHING to my computer except to visit the
page

http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/examples/Henrici.html

and related links there.  I tried this in Firefox (under Windows XP), got
warning about fonts, and got displays via stored images. Looked nice. I then
tried the same pages in IE and I got the LateX rendered, much slower, but
equally impressive.

I then tried

http://page.axiom-developer.org/jstest.html

on IE, got a warning box (in red) and a^b. Don't know if that is what is all
there should be.

Then I tried

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/jsMathExperiment

in IE, got the same warning box (in red), and the display was ok but not as fine
(like broken square root signs).

Strange thing is: I saved the Struik.html page, and tried it locally, the page
displays but the LaTeX was not rendered. Then I tried the web page original
link, and now it rendered! (and I don't mean using stored images because a
Process ... box with percent running is visible at the lower left corner of the
screen). The Henrici.html also rendered.

This encouraged me to try jsMathExperiment page again. Same result though: red
box and good but not perfect rendering. The page never finished loading (waiting
for wiki.axiom...).
(Saving the page and redo locally displays only the tex.)

Could this be due to the missing "![CDATA[[ ...]]" wrap?

> What browser and what version of browser are you using?

Firefox 1.0 (Windows) and IE 6.0.2900.2180

So I think it is more like a path problem than a font problem. (I have Miktex
installed, but did not do anything to tell IE where these are). It seemed that
by forcing a local display, Firefox finally woke up (I honestly do not know the
reason).

I was quite impressed at the quality of the jsMath rendering and also that I can
resize the window (to very narrow width) and all the math breaks well (even if
they overflowed the line).

Great job, Bill, and thanks to your inexhaustible energy and ideas that improve
the sites (not to mention enliven the debates)!

William