RE: [Axiom-developer] hyperlinked algebra

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] hyperlinked algebra
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 23:42:32 -0500

On December 8, 2005 10:21 AM C Y wrote:

> > At the pstricks website:
> >
> > http://www.tug.org/PSTricks/main.cgi?file=pdf/pdfoutput

> > They seem to recommend using:
> >
> > dvips <file>.dvi
> > ps2pdf <file>.ps
> >
> > instead of 'dvipdfm'. We can do this.
>
> I thought dvips either messed up hyperlinking or resulted in
> those horrible boxes around linked text - has this changed now?

At

http://www.tug.org/applications/hyperref/manual.html

it says we need to specify the 'dvips' option on the hyperref
package, so I edited my version

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/book--main--1/Endpaper2

of Tim's endpaper.pamphlet with hyperlinks to include:

\usepackage[dvips,final,colorlinks=true,pdfstartview=FitH]{hyperref}

and clicked 'Save' to create a new 'dvi' file.

At

http://arxiv.org/hypertex

it says that we have to use the -z option on dvips. BTW, it
also says which dvi viewers support hyperref. So then directly
on the axiom-developer.org server I used the following command:

  % dvips -z -o endpaper2.ps endpaper2.dvi

to produce an intermediate postscript file and the command:

  % ps2pdf endpaper2.ps

to produce a new 'pdf' file.

Now the 'pdf' link on the above mentioned Axiom Wiki page

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/images/book--main--1/endpaper2.pdf

displays the file with both lines between the boxes and
active hyperlinks!

I also changed the href in the top node to point to the url
for catdef.spad.pdf on the wiki and sure enough clicking
the link opens that file! If we include links like this in
the file, it seems that as a minimum we will have to provide
*both* .pdf and .dvi links.

The table of contents hyperlinks all work and no ugly boxes
around hyperlinks ... I think that's actually controlled by
the hyperref option 'colorlinks=true'.

Could you please also check whether the lines and hyperlinks
still appear properly on this revised 'dvi' file:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/images/book--main--1/endpaper2.dvi

and let me know how it looks? Thanks.

If everything still works I think I will change the pamphlet
processing sequence as follows:

weave (tex) --> latex (dvi) --> dvips (ps) --> ps2pdf (pdf)
                                           --> gzip (gz)

and then provide the links on the pamphlet thumbnail page:

  Download: pdf dvi ps gz src tex log

Is compressed (gzipped) postscript still sufficiently popular?

Comments?