RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: aldor patches

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: aldor patches
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:52:44 -0400

Executive Summary:

  The axiom/aldor build seems to have completed successfully
  but we are missing an include file named 'axiom...'

On Thursday, August 25, 2005 7:51 AM Peter Broadbery wrote:
> The only compiler output will be error messages from the compiler;
> If you call the compiler via axiom (ie. ')co aldor-section.as'),
> then an axiom prompt should be a perfectly good separator.

Ah, yes I see. That would be real easy for me to integrate with
MathAction. If we *only* provide Aldor compilation via axiom
(as opposed to directly calling the compiler) is this a significant
limitation? Or is this the expected mode of interaction?

> > The use of 'include' files above should handle this case, right?
> >
> Yep.

Suppose I generate a series of Aldor compiles from axiom like this:

  )co aldor-section1.as
  )co aldor-section2.as
  )co aldor-section3.as

instead of using Aldor includes. Does the problem of having to
know the names of previous Aldor compiles return? Maybe this will
be more clear once I actually have Aldor running inside Axiom and
get a chance to play with it.

> I'm using SuSE 9.2; the make version is 3.80 (you may have the
> previous version; 3.80 was released in october 2002).

Yes I had the previous version 3.79.x. I just downloaded and
compiled Gnu make 3.80.

> The problem seems to be that Make.functions hasn't been generated
> from Make.functions.pamphlet; if you do this manually, it'll get
> further.

Yes that did it! The Aldor/Axiom build has now in the process of
compiling the Axiom library. What I did was the following:

  1) Built Axiom from axiom--main--1--Patch-44
  2) cd src; tar xzvf src_aldor.tgz
  3) document Makefile.pamphlet
  4) make
  5) touch .../aldor/int/dep_spad.stamp
  6) document Make.functions.pamphlet
  7) make

Probably the intermediate make attempt step 4) is unnecessary.
The build has just completed successfully. The log ends like this:

AOBUILD LIB: axiom ELT: ZMOD DEPS: 4
LIB libaxiom.al ZMOD.ao D: 22 files
BUILT:  libaxiom.al
cp -p /home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/int/aldor/lib/libaxiom.al
/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/algebra/libaxiom.al
echo built
/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/algebra/libaxiom.al
built /home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/algebra/libaxiom.al
cp /usr/local/aldor/linux/1.0.2/lib/runtime.lsp
/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/aldor/lib/runtime.lsp
echo LSP->O: runtime.o
Built runtime.o
warning Targets are sources all_libaxiom all_runtime
Built libaxiom
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/src/aldor'
address@hidden aldor]#

----------

> the java program currently just spits out sets of mutually dependent
> domains, and is just there to help make on its way.

In contrast to Tim Daly, I am very much in favor of this approach
to building a complex system like Axiom. I would like to see this
done in the Axiom build. But that is another story. :)

> One way of simplifying matters would be to invoke 3 sequential
> builds; Once to run document on everything, then for the dependency
> graphs, and then once more to build the library.  However, this may
> well still need a more recent make.

Yes, I upgraded to gnu make 3.8. That might well be a factor in
the successful completion of your aldor/axiom build.

Ok, so I need to test this thing. What do you suggest? Should
I try to compile the rr.as file?

address@hidden page]# AXIOMsys
                        AXIOM Computer Algebra System
                     Version: Axiom 3.9 (September 2005)
               Timestamp: Tuesday August 23, 2005 at 22:37:35
-----
   Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
   Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
   Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.
-----

   Re-reading compress.daase   Re-reading interp.daase
   Re-reading operation.daase
   Re-reading category.daase
   Re-reading browse.daase
(1) -> )co rr.as
   Compiling AXIOM source code from file /home/page/rr.as using
      AXIOM-XL compiler and options
-O -Fasy -Fao -Flsp -laxiom -Mno-AXL_W_WillObsolete -DAxiom -Y
$AXIOM/algebra
      Use the system command )set compiler args to change these
      options.
#1 (Warning) Deprecated message prefix: use `ALDOR_' instead of `_AXL'
"/home/page/rr.as", line 54:
#include "axiom"
^
[L54 C1] #2 (Error) Could not open file `axiom'.

   The )library system command was not called after compilation.
/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/autoload/bc-matrix.
/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/autoload/bc-misc.
/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/autoload/bc-solve.
/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/autoload/bc-util.
/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/autoload/ht-util.
/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/autoload/htsetvar.
/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/autoload/ht-root.
/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/autoload/br-con.
/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/autoload/br-data.
/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/autoload/showimp.
/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/autoload/br-op1.
/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/autoload/br-op2.
/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/autoload/br-search.
/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/autoload/br-util.
/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/autoload/topics.
/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/autoload/br-prof.
/home/page/repository/axiom--main--1/mnt/linux/autoload/br-saturn.
(1) ->

-------

Looks like we are almost there now.

Oops. I seem to be missing an include file named 'axiom...'.
Or maybe in the Patch-44 distribution it is looking in the
wrong place. Where do I get that?

Thanks for your help!