Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: literate programming pamphlet files for MathAc

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: literate programming pamphlet files for MathAction
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:38:24 +0000

Ralf HEMMECKE writes:
 > Dear Martin,
 >
 > >  > Personally, I would very much like to get the functionality of JavaDoc,
 > > but
 > >  > unfortunately ++ comments might become unreadable in the .pamphlet file
 > >  > (which is undesirable).
 > >
 > > why do you think that they might become unreadable?
 >
 > In ++ comments one might wish to include some mathematical formulae.
 > Writing them in MathML makes the ++ comments unreadable. Many
 > mathematicians can read LaTeX these days, so I would prefer LaTeX here.

Why on earth would you write them in MathML?

 > However, even the LaTeX style will not be there forever.

I doubt this. Well, for "forever" < 30 years, I'm pretty sure that LaTeX will
stay with us.

 > I would agree on some XML like style

I will not.

 > I have a modified version
 > of srcltx that jumps to the place in the corresponding .nw file instead
 > of the generated .tex file. I have simply replaced
 >
 > \def\src@@include#1#2{%
 >      address@hidden@address@hidden
 >      address@hidden
 >      address@hidden@address@hidden
 > }
 >
 > in srcltx 2004/05/15 v1.4
 >
 > by
 >
 > \def\src@@include#1#2{%
 >      address@hidden@address@hidden: removed '.tex' extension
 >      address@hidden
 >      address@hidden@address@hidden
 > }

very nice.

 > In connection to the extension rule of just adding .tex to the noweb file
 >
 >     noweave FILE.nw > FILE.nw.tex
 >
 > this works quite nicely for me.
 >
 > But maybe this inverse-search facility is not necessary if pamphlet
 > files are edited via MathAction or LaTeXWiki. (Unfortunately, I have no
 > experiences with the latter.)

I suspect that small changes (like typos) will be done via MathAction
directly. Bigger changes will be done locally, and I will certainly use your
srcltx modification! Thanks!

 > But still, the ++ code would remain untouched (and unformated) even in the
 > .dvi file (and thus maybe unreadable).

I don't understand this. For postprocessing and editing, use
example.spad.pamphlet, for printing the example.spad.dvi, for browsing the
.pamphlet.spad.html output, for computing the example.spad format. All of them
will include the code of the spad (or aldor) file -- always human
readable. Except example.spad.pamphlet, all files are read only.

Martin