[Axiom-developer] Re: literate programming pamphlet files for MathAction

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: literate programming pamphlet files for MathAction
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:36:27 +0000

Yet another suggestion:

In Axiom (and Aldor) code, there are two types of comments: -- and ++.

The first tells the compiler to throw the comment away, the latter to keep
it. It seems that there are programs that can use these "descriptions", I
suppose Hyperdoc is one. More precisely: +++ tells the compiler that the
comment concerns the next name, ++ concerns the preceding name.

I thus suggest a tiny bit of syntax highlighting: It would be great if the
++(+) comments would be printed a *little* differnent than the rest of the
code, maybe in italic or a different color. (Since the often contain code, they
need to be printed in the same font as code.)

The -- comments often contain old code, so maybe a "lighter" face would be
appropriate. Those -- comments that explain the code will vanish and merge into
the pamphlet style documentation, I suspect.

Martin