Re: [avrdude-dev] About multiple signatures patch

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] About multiple signatures patch
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 08:13:11 +0100

Hi Tomaž,

> A while back I submitted a patch that allows you to specify multiple
> "signature" declarations per "part" in avrdude.conf. [1]

Sorry for not responding to that earlier.

> I haven't received any feedback on my patch. I've seen a different,
> more general approach proposed by David Ford [3] that adds support
> for property inheritance via a "parent" directive.

Yes, that idea has been tossed around already before.  The advantage
is that it allows to share even more than just multiple signatures,
e.g. you can cover complete device families by a single entry, where
the derived entries change the signature *and* the memory sizes as
well.

> If you would be willing
> to accept a patch implementing that, I am prepared to work on it.

That would be great!  Implementing that (and then compacting
avrdude.conf) was basically what I thought would be my next job, as
time permits.  I'd really like to have this feature aboard in the next
AVRDUDE release, as it allows to add a number of outstanding devices
very easily.