Re: [avrdude-dev] Special-section erase?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Special-section erase?
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 19:22:22 +0100

As Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> Yeah, I can try to find some time at some point to write up
> something, I just wonder if anybody has thoughts on the actual
> commandline structure of it...  I could add xmega-specific stuff,
> but I'd think there's benefit in updating the erase mechanism to be
> somewhat more flexible.  There are also erase commands for the app
> section as well as single-page erase.

I'm hesitant to add more command-line option letters, otherwise we
might end up with a BUGS section in the manpage like in indent(1):

BUGS
     The indent utility has even more switches than ls(1).

One possibility would be to extend the -U ("update") option: rather
than only allowing for read ("r") and write ("w") operations, it could
also allow for erase ("e") operations for the memory region specified:

avrdude ... -U application:e:-:n

The third (file) argument is not needed there (I just indicated this
by a file format flag "n", for "nil"), so it could also be abused to
indicate a page to erase:

avrdude ... -U application:e:0x100:m

Opinions?